Friday 6 April 2012

Radical Art # Jo Peel

I've always wanted to catch a graffiti artist in action ever since watching, well 'Exit through the Giftshop' lame I know I know! not everyone wants to be Banksy but it's the elusive manner in which they work which makes me want to really grill them on the what, why and where.

I'm walking through Shoreditch at 9am for an interview and stumble upon Jo with her spray cans busy at work. I take tonnes of pictures before approaching her and quickly grabbing her email as I am in a hurry but definitely don't want to pass on the opportunity. Few weeks later and major Excites! she has answered my questions.

How did you get into Graffiti art? 

I got into street art by accident really, I love working outside and on a large scale and I also have a lot of friends who work on walls, it was a natural progression really to take my work from sketch to wall and I enjoy the challenge!










What inspires your art? 

I'm inspired by everything around me. Urban environments totally fascinate me, as they are always changing and say so much about the people who live within them.

What products do you use/work best with?

I tend to stick to spray paint and emulsion or acrylic paints

Do you receive any funding?

No I don't unfortunately, it would be great if there was some funding but no.



Do you exhibit your work?

Yes, I am currently working towards my next solo show in June at the Ben Oakley Gallery. I also exhibit with LAVA collective, Art Republic collective and Nelly Duff amonsgt others.

What is the most Radical piece you have ever produced?

I'm not really sure, the wall at Village Underground in Shoreditch is my most epic project to date. 

(I'm really glad I caught her in action in what is considered her most radical piece)

What is your Ultimate Goal as an artist?

To continue to grow and develop as an artist, to inspire people and challenge myself.



I love the way she has encapsulated London in her graffiti, the cranes, boarded up shops and the skips are objects you see all the time walking around East London with the Olympics happening very soon it seems everything is under construction.

I really wish I had the time to stop and ask Jo more in depth questions as she seemed like a very interesting person, but her being halfway through her project I don't think it was the best time to be asking probing questions and I was running late. So anyway, if you do get the chance take the time to view the wall it's pretty Spectacular!

To learn more about Jo she has a blog she updates regularly 

www.jopeel.com




No comments:

Post a Comment